Technical University Berlin
New Mathematics Building
Senatsverwaltung für Stadtentwicklung und Wohnen – VM1
Fehrbelliner Platz 2
BeMo Tunnelling GmbH, Niederlassung West
Ground Engineering Berlin
Start of construction
End of construction
Project total value
3.5 million €
Below fillings sands in different particle sizes and bulk density of soil, partly penetrated with organic soils (peat).
Groundwater level is at approx. 3 m below ground surface.
Construction of 2 building pits for the new buildings of the faculty Mathematics and for Modeling- and Simulation Research at the Technical University of Berlin.
The lot „Ground Engineering“ contains the following essential work:
• Sheet pile approx. 6,000 m²
• Strand anchors approx. 300 Stück
• DSV-Invert approx. 7,000 m²
Furthermore the work includes:
• work planning
• minimal earthwork (work levels, advance excavation, disposal etc.)
Main excavation work and drainage were tendered and awarded in a separate lot.
Difficulties arise from:
• Inner-city location
• additional, not precisely defined interfaces to the lot „earthwork“
• insufficient planning lead time (missing approval for detailed design, incomplete tendering or rather no tendered services